Observation Hill, Antarctica
Project Description

A panoramic photo taken on top of Observation Hill, McMurdo Station, Antarctica.

After their deaths in early 1912, the last members of Robert Falcon Scott’s party were found by a search party led by the surgeon Dr. Edward L. Atkinson. The relief party took their photographic film, scientific specimens, and other materials. They had to leave Scott and his men in their tent, and later parties could not locate the campsite, since that area had been covered in snow.

The search party returned to their base camp in McMurdo Sound to await the relief ship. After it arrived, they worked to build a memorial – a nine-foot wooden cross, inscribed with the names of the fatal party and the final line of the Alfred Tennyson poem “Ulysses”, which reads “To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.” On 22 January 1913, after a difficult two-day sledge journey, the cross was erected on the summit of Observation Hill, overlooking the camp and facing out towards the “Barrier” – the Ross Ice Shelf, on which Scott’s party had died. In 1972, the cross was declared as one of the initial Historic Sites and Monuments in Antarctica by the Antarctic Treaty signatories.

Project Details
Skills:
Gigapan photography
Date:
November 3, 2011
Categories: